Great Gift Ideas
The Deerfield Beach Historical Society’s
Holiday Craft Fair
Sunday, November 30th
The Butler House
On November 30th The Deerfield Beach Historical Society will present a Holiday Craft Fair at The Historic Butler House. We are still looking for vendors with handmade crafts to be sold at the event.
This is another in the series of Sundays at the Butler House.
In addition to the Craft Fair, there will a display and auction of quilts from Threads, the prayer shawl ministry of First Baptist of DFB.
There will be music, food and free tours of the Butler House.
Seminole Hunting Camp
Sullivan Park Memorial
During the Second Seminole Indian War, 1835-1861, there was a traditional Seminole hunting camp in the area that is now Sullivan Park in Deerfield Beach. On April 1, 1838, Lieutenant Robert Anderson took as prisoners Chief Tuskegee and 45 followers. This was the single largest capture of Indians in Southeast Florida during the war.
In 1976, as a part of a bi-centennial celebration, the Woman’s Club of Deerfield Beach placed a commemorative plaque on a rock in Sullivan Park, where it remains today.
Months before his capture, Chief Tuskegee attempted to broker a truce that would have allowed the Seminoles to remain in Southeast Florida. The treaty was rejected by the Secretary of War in Washington, DC.
Lieutenant Robert Anderson went on to gain immortal fame as Commandant of Fort Sumter at the beginning of the American Civil War.
The Beginning of Deerfield
The Role of the Railroad
Before it became Deerfield Beach, our town was simply called Deerfield. It was Henry Flagler’s railroad that brought the town of Deerfield into being in the 19th century. Even before it was called Deerfield, this area was called Hillsborough.
In 1898, C.E. Hunt, a Civil Engineer for the Florida East Coast Railroad, came upon the Hillsborough River. He platted 12 acres between the railroad tracks and the intracoastal waterway and named it Hillsborough ( named after the Earl of Hillsborough) .
At the time, the permanent population was about 20.
Over the next several years, the railroad continued to move south and the number of passengers increased. Both local engineers and the train passengers on the railroad were struck by an abundance of deer as they passed by. The reputation grew and the name was changed to Deerfield.
Tour the Butler House
Antique Car Show
Sunday, October 26th
300 East Hillsboro Blvd.
Halloween is near and what house in Deerfield Beach has more old stories than The Butler House. This Sunday there will be free tours, an antique car show, music, food and fun.